Sunday, December 8, 2013

Week 5 - How Good is Your Memory?



Verbal Memory Test - http://www.memorylossonline.com/learning_memory/mem_games/verbaltest1.html
Recall score: 16
Recognition score: 40
When I saw my recall score, I thought I did really badly until I reached the final page. Apparently ANYTHING above 10 is considered above average, so I think I did pretty well. My recognition score was surprisingly perfect, as I guessed many times, but I guess this proves that you remember things that are more familiar to you. I'd really like to get better at recalling; it would help on my psychology tests...

I think this test is pretty valid; I didn't know I would have to recall the words after doing the first part, so I was definitely thrown off guard. Of course, I did pretty well, so I could be extremely biased.

Number Memory Test - http://www.braingle.com/mind/test_numbers.php
I got up to the 11th number, but I failed on the 12th number. The chunking technique that they mention in this test is actually something our orchestra director has talked about; in music, we learn things in chunks, especially when we sight-read. This helps us not fall behind when he goes at a super fast tempo.

This test says that 7 numbers is the average a person's short term memory can hold. However, 10 seconds is kinda long for memorizing numbers, so I'm sure my average is closer to that 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment